What is the mission of Ryan's Case for Smiles?
Ryan’s Case for Smiles is one the few volunteer organizations solely dedicated to helping kids feel better to heal better. While other great organizations focus on research and finding a cure, we work to improve the quality of life of children and their families as they undergo treatment. Our volunteers deliver more than 200,000 bright, cheerful pillowcases each year to children and their families in over 360 hospitals throughout our 120 chapters. We are also developing one of the first initiatives to address pediatric medical post-traumatic stress.
PTSD and Families
- 49% of adolescents develop mild to severe symptoms of PTS following cancer treatment
- 30% of young hospital patients develop severe PTS symptoms following a serious illness
- 42% of mothers of cancer patients develop symptoms of PTS post treatment
- 25% of siblings develop moderate to severe symptoms of PTS
In addition to providing bright, colorful pillowcases to give hospitalized children an emotional boost, we are partnering with the Center for Pediatric Traumatic Stress to develop resources and tools to help entire families better understand and cope with the difficult experience.
How do you help address Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?
Do you accept cash donations?
Where do I send the check made out to Case for Smiles?
Checks can be given to your Regional Coordinator or mailed directly to:
Case for Smiles
c/o Liz Koshgerian
295 E.Swedesford Road #396
Wayne, PA 19087
What can I donate other than fabric?
- Unscented detergent
- Ziploc plastic bags: 1 quart size (each pillowcase smile is delivered in its own Ziploc bag)
- Rotary blades and mats
- Irons- please check with your local coordinator
- SHOUT Color Catchers
- Stocks or bonds
- In-kind donations that can be used in our fundraising efforts such as gift cards, time-shares or items for raffle baskets
- Monetary donations are also welcomed! It currently costs about $11.00 to make a pillowcase.
- Donations can easily and securely be made online
Can I deliver the pillowcases myself?
How do I wash the pillowcases?
Due to COVID-19 restrictions at our partner hospitals, at this time we are asking for pillowcase donations to not be laundered and bagged when donated to our chapters.
Is it okay to put a note in the pillowcase?
Do you accept seasonal pillowcases?
Can I receive a tax credit for my donations?
All requests must be received by January 15th.
My school/church group,/youth group wants to HOST an event, HOW and what do we do to get this going?
What kind of fabric can I use to sew pillowcases?
- Fabric needs to be 100% cotton. Please do not use fabric that has glitter.
- Remember to use fun, colorful novelty prints!
- Check with local coordinator for local hospitals specific requirements for example: often time hospitals don’t allow flannel, RED pillowcases tend to bleed and some hospitals do not accept seasonal pillowcases.
- We do not accept ‘No-sew pillowcases’. See PDF GUIDE for full list of guidelines.
What pattern can I use to sew pillowcases?
Hospitals use standard size pillowcases (20 x 26 inches)
Choose a bright and colorful fabric style:
- Border: ¹⁄³ of a yard of fabric cut into a strip: 10 ½ inches by 40 ½ inches
- Case: ¾ of a yard: 26 ½ inches by 40 ½ inches
- Please see the PDF GUIDE for detailed instructions